Impact on our operations
On March 23, 2020, Governor Holcomb issued an Executive Order directing Hoosiers to Stay at Home (the “Order”) to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, commonly known as the coronavirus. A gradual roll-back of the order has begun on May 4, 2020. Detailed information on the roll-back is available at this website.
Essential Businesses and Operations are exempted from the required closures/travel restrictions. “Essential Businesses and Operations” includes businesses within the medical supply chain. Fort Wayne Metals falls into this category and will remain open under this exception to the Order to support its customers, which produce components and materials which are utilized in medical devices.
During the current pandemic, protecting our people is our highest priority.
As a manufacturer of materials for life-saving medical devices, we also understand that maintaining production capabilities is critical. To that end, we have developed and implemented an action plan taking the following measures:
- We are complying with Governor Holcomb’s Executive Order by asking non-essential personnel to work from home.
- We are suspending all visits to our facilities. Exceptions will be only be made for business-critical meetings that cannot be conducted remotely. They will be held by appointment only.
- Employee travel between facilities has been limited, and face-to-face meetings replaced with video conferences.
- Production shifts have been shortened, allowing all employees of one shift to leave our facilities before the next shift arrives.
- Staffing levels have been adjusted in many areas of our operations to provide sufficient space for social distancing measures.
- We are mandating the use of face masks in any situation where social distancing is not possible.
- We are maximizing the use of any open capacity to proactively manufacture materials in advance of their due date.
- We are continually evaluating our inventory position for raw materials and maintain ample supplies to uphold production in the event of supply stream disruptions.
- We are providing guidance and documentation to critical suppliers affected by Stay at Home / Shelter in Place orders to help them continue operations.
- Frequent, regular preventative cleaning measures have been instituted in office and production areas.
- All business travel has been suspended, and quarantine requirements have been put in place for employees returning from business or personal travel to areas of high risk.
- We have instituted mandatory training to make all of our employees aware of proper hand washing and hand sanitizing techniques.
- Our employees have been made aware of how to proceed in the event of any emerging or suspected health issues connected to COVID-19.
- We have instituted policies for the event of an employee contracting COVID-19, including deep cleaning of affected work and common areas, contact tracing, and isolating employees who may have been exposed.
- We are implementing plans for a gradual roll-back of COVID-19 related measures as the situation allows. We are doing so in a fashion that protects the well-being of our employees and our ability to supply to our customers.
We will continue to update our response based on any new developments, and post any changes on this page.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact your Fort Wayne Metals representative.